nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 21:52:45 -0500

David Schwartz wrote:
I hear this a lot, but how many "linksys default channel 6" end users
really have more than one subnet, or even know what a subnet is?

~Seth

Wrong question. The right question is, how many would if reachable address scarcity weren't a factor.

Also the wrong question. The question will become, what will the home routers support. The most common expectation of home routers will decide the defaults for most ISPs.

One thing I currently dislike with implementations (and probably in the spec, though I haven't checked), is lack of support for variable PD requests. Sure, it's possible to configure radius to hand out specific prefixes, but what about variability. Many households will only need a single /64, while some will need a /60 (being nice on the nibbles). A more dynamic protocol would have been nice given that they were redesigning everything. That way a router needing only one subnet could request a /64, and then another router hooked up behind it could request a /64 proxied through the first, or perhaps when the second router asks the first, it renumbers asking for a /63, which the ISP might instead respond with a /60. A boy can dream.

Jack