nanog mailing list archives

Re: Small guys with BGP issues

From: Steve Bertrand <steve () ibctech ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:42:51 -0500

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 11:54:07PM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
I'm not a political person. Take it for what it is worth.

I personally know people who do both:

- practice but not preach
- preach but don't practice

... however you take my point, I don't care.

I just wanted it to be known that the 'guys' who do practice it should
'God willing' come out and preach it.

And this is not the big boy list.  This is for all Operators in North
America, and many who are not, regardless of size.  (Well, I guess we'll
exclude the guy who buys are cable/DSL link and "provides" to his mother
& father with a LinkSys.)
eh, -stevieb has much respect for all those who read this list, and when
he posts, feels that the big guys are looking down upon him... hopefully
with approval.

Ok so, without getting into debates over being political, practicing vs
preaching, BCP38, or big guys vs little guys, can you please explain in
clear english what in the name of holy hell you're talking about?

What is the issue here, that your DSL provider won't speak BGP with you
no matter how many times you've asked, so you're complaining to NANOG

Theoretically, I'm not complaining, I'm venting.

This isn't just my DSL provider, its a business class connection
provider who also happens to provide my (hrm.. our) primary Internet
connection.

Are you going to teach me something with a clue bat, or are you going to
beat me to death with the specifics that each prong of a fork carries?

Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but the emails
so far haven't been very clear and this isn't making a lot of sense.

My apologies if I haven't been clear. What would you like me to say? If
I can't 'complain' here, where do I go? I think that I've acted
tactfully and responsibly.

What didn't make sense? Enlighten me.

Although I did come here with concerns and questions, I do have a clue
bat of my own to swing in defence...

Steve