nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: David Ulevitch <davidu () everydns net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:17:15 -0500

On 11/10/09 9:04 AM, sthaug () nethelp no wrote:
When the conficker worms phones home to one of the 50,000 potential
domains names it computes each day, there are a lot of IT folks out
there that wish their local resolver would simply reject those DNS
requests so that infected machines in their network fail to phone
home.

That's an extremely bad idea: many of the domains generated by the
Conficker algorithm are already registered by a legitimate registrant
(in .FR: the national railways, a national TV, etc).

It's an idea that needs to be used *with caution*. We did something
similar as part of testing a new DNS product, and found that any such
list of domain names needed to be *manually* vetted before being used
as input to a DNS-based blackhole system. We also found that we had
to explicitly whitelist a number of domains (generated by Conficker
but registered many years ago and pretty clearly legit).

This is correct. And we take this into consideration in determining what to block using our existing datasets, which are sufficient considering the volume of DNS traffic that crosses our network.

-David