nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP customer assignments

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:20:39 -0700

Owen,

On Oct 5, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
If people start getting /32s because some ISPs are refusing to route /48s, then, the RIRs are not doing their stewardship job correctly and we should resolve
that issue.

Since when do RIRs, good stewards or not, control routing policy of ISPs?

IPv6 offers so much address space that we could give every existing
IPv4 user an entire IPv6 ISP allocation (no, I'm not recommending this)
and still have enough /32s left over in IPv6 to give one to each ISP
and large mega-corp.

Um.  How many /32s are their in IPv4?  How many /32s are their in IPv6?

Regards,
-drc