nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:45:29 +0100

On 22/10/2009 12:49, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:
        its been a few weeks/years/minutes since I ran an exchange fabric,
        but when we first turned up IPv6 - the first thing they did was try
        to hand all the other routers IPv6 addresses.  that pesky RA/ND
        thing... had to turn it off ...  RA preference would not work, since
        there was no -pecking- order - all the routers were peers.

Bill, I am not able to look at this paragraph without being reminded of Charles Babbage's take on the GIGO principal:

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Nick