nanog mailing list archives

Re: cross connect reliability

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:30:11 -0400 (EDT)

It's just not as interesting or hard to troubleshoot as a poorly made patch cable that's had one conductor go open, only goes open when the wire is tugged a certain direction, nicked wires shorting, a switch port with its RX side burned out, an RJ45 plug who's mistreated tab no longer works, and though it looks inserted in the port, it's really just kind of hanging there not making full/good contact, etc.

I would hope in any data center, "stealing pairs" doesn't happen as much as any of the above or taking pairs the tech genuinely thought were dead.