nanog mailing list archives

Re: cross connect reliability

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:34:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

I once had a circuit go down because the fiber connector wasn't crimped
on correctly, and the fiber pulled out of the connector while a tech was
working in the cable tray nearby. After we opened a ticket about the
issue, said tech "fixed" it by shoving the fiber back into the connector
by hand, and walking away. Needless to say it went down again the next
day. Names withheld to protect the guilty and keep them from raising my
prices for heckling them in public, but the moral of the story is never
underestimate the laziness or stupidity of the cable monkeys some of
these places hire and let touch your routers. :)

In their defense, that was clearly the fastest way to fix it. :)

Just not a very long term solution.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |