nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick () zill net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:10:46 -0400

Joe Greco wrote:

It's not the initial assignment fee that's really an impediment, it's
moving from a model where the address space is free (or nearly so) to
a model where you're paying a significant annual fee for the space.

We'd be doing IPv6 here if not for the annual fee.  As it stands, there
isn't that much reason to do IPv6, and a significant disincentive in the
form of the fees.

... JG

I have to agree ... why such high charges when a similar service like
GoDaddy provides (domain name registrar) is $15 a year?

Is it REALLY X times the level of difficulty of registering a domain
name, and thus the charges are justified?  I will let someone who is
very technical explain this to me.

Cordially

Patrick