nanog mailing list archives

Re: Finding content in your job title

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:03:32 -0400

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:28 32PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve () ibctech ca> wrote:

[ snip ]

For instance, I like to present myself as a 'network engineer'. I have
never taken formal education, don't hold any certifications (well, since
2001), and can't necessarily prove my worth.

How does the ops community feel about using this designation?

FWIW, I was Commodore of Infrastructure when I worked for the President of
The World.

Way back when, an organization I know of decided to "regularize" its titles and insisted that the computer center staff
suggest proper titles.  They didn't much like "Bit Pusher" or "Telecommunications Bit Pusher", but finally gave up when
one woman insisted that her proper title was "Empress of the 8th Floor".