nanog mailing list archives

Re: "potential new and different architectural approach" to solve theComcast - L3 dispute

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:32:21 -0600

On 12/17/2010 12:45 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
But content providers already pay more for their 'service' than the typical asymmetric-towards-the-customer bandwidth
user does.

Agreed, though I think they pay less than most eyeball networks pay (the ISP, not the user), depending on where they host it (we have a lot of hauling we have to do).

I'd also note, that the Internet is continuing to push more towards blurring the lines of content provider/eyeball, as p2p continues to be deployed with more technologies and for more uses. As households are constantly on, there is benefit in the household hosting content which can be reached directly by those you are sharing it to. As the market shifts to containing a larger market share of households with symmetric bandwidth, we can expect to see this improve (asymmetric last miles has hindered many innovations).

Jack