nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: Bret Clark <bclark () spectraaccess com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:11:46 -0500

On 12/20/2010 06:55 AM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
What no one has mentioned thus far is that CLECs really are able to
install their own facilities to homes and businesses if they decide
that is a good way to invest their finite resources.

Yes and no, we tried that way back when but found out that there were rules in place allowing only 3 lines on a pole (Elec, tele, cable), basically the rules are there to stop poles from have a gazzillon lines on them; a throwback from the early 1900's. Back then there were numerous Telephone companies competing for the same customer and poles became a nightmare with wires. It was common for competitors to cut other competitors lines back then.

Sure CLEC's could go underground, but outside of the expense, the permit's process would be a nightmare. Where there was conduit available we'd go that route, but Verizon would give us a hard time about it.