nanog mailing list archives

Re: Future timestamps in /var/log/secure

From: Brielle Bruns <bruns () 2mbit com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:29:02 -0700

On 2/26/10 11:20 AM, Wade Peacock wrote:
I found a while ago in /var/log/secure that for an invalid ssh login
attempt the ssh Bye Bye line is in the future. I have searched the web
and can not find a reason for the future time in the log.

Here is a sample. Repeated lines are shown once in first part

Feb 26 17:50:38 mx sshd[19115]: Received disconnect from
210.212.145.152: 11: Bye Bye
Feb 26 17:50:38 mx sshd[19118]: Received disconnect from
210.212.145.152: 11: Bye Bye
Feb 26 09:52:39 mx proftpd[17297]: mx.example.com
(208.xxx.xxx.xxx[208.xxx.xxx.xxx]) - FTP no transfer timeout, disconnected

Can anyone explain the future time stamp on the Bye Bye lines?

OS is Centos 5.4, FYI

Isn't the timestamps inserted by syslog rather then the reporting program itself?

What syslog do you use - classic (ie: sysklogd) or a modern one like rsyslog? It almost looks like the timezone got changed from local to GMT or similar, then swapped back (as odd as it may sound).

Perhaps time to file a bug report with the author of the syslog daemon you use?

--
Brielle Bruns
http://www.sosdg.org    /     http://www.ahbl.org