nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ready to get your federal computer license?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:11:36 +0100

* Scott Morris:

Florian Weimer wrote:
* Scott Morris:

I'm trying really hard to find my "paranoia hat", and just to relieve
some boredom I read the entire bill to try to figure out where this was
all coming from....

"(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and order the limitation or
shutdown of Internet traffic to and from any compromised Federal
Government or United States critical infrastructure information system
or network;"

Wouldn't this mean you're allowed to set emergency ACLs only if a
cybersecurity emergency has been declared by the President?

I must have missed the phrasing that says "nobody else can make an
independent decision regarding any security measure above and beyond the
minimum standards"...

I'll go back and look for that.

The thing your looking for is called "exclusio unius". 8-)