nanog mailing list archives

Re: Failover IPv6 with multiple PA prefixes (Was: IPv6 fc00::/7 - Unique local addresses)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 02:47:07 -0700

On Nov 2, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 09:03 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
About the only hack I can see that *might* make sense would be that home
CPE does NOT honour the upstream lifetimes if upstream connectivity is
lost, but instead keeps the prefix alive on very short lifetimes until
upstream connectivity returns.

Which is exactly what was being proposed when Tim responded that it
would break the IPv6 spec.

Yes it does. But as long as there is no upstream connectivity, it
doesn't matter. Personally I don't think it makes a *lot* of sense, but
it does make some.

Sounds like we're in violent agreement.

Owen