nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ratios & peering [was: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions]

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:32:19 -0800

In a message written on Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:46:27AM -0800, Matthew Petach wrote:
Clearly, to balance out the traffic ratios, content providers should set their
server MTUs to 64 bytes.  That way, small HTTP request packets will be
nicely balanced out by small HTTP reply packets.  If the content providers
also turn off SACK, and force ACKs for each packet, they can achieve
nearly the perfect traffic ratios the eyeball networks seem to desire.
Small packet one way, equivalent small packet the other way, and
everyone is happy.

Obviously those recent infidels pushing for the so-called "Jumbo Frames"
here on NANOG were nothing more than shills for the eyeball networks,
seeking to get more and more networks out of ratio, in an effort to get
them to cough up money.  Fie on them, I say--instead of JumboFrames,
we need MicroFrames!  Exchange points should start enforcing a maximum
frame size of 64 bytes, to truly bring the internet into perfectly-balanced
ratio-ness.

I was actually pondering that it may be worth it for some content
delivery networks to pay Apple and Microsoft to implement a TCP
option such that, when requested by the server, all ACKs get padded
to 1500 bytes.

:)

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440