nanog mailing list archives

Re: Introducing draft-denog-v6ops-addresspartnaming

From: David Israel <davei () otd com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:16:55 -0500

On 11/19/2010 4:57 AM, George Bonser wrote:

It's always two bytes, but people may choose to omit them. That is a
social, not a (purely) technical, syntax, though.

Richard
That's exactly what I was going to say but didn't want to quibble.  We tend to call them "quads" at work.  What do you call that
indeterminate space between two colons :: where it might be four or more zeros in there? That's a bunch of nibbles, maybe a "gulp"?

Yeah, I think I'd quibble with quibble; it's antagonistic. "Gulp" has serious potential in casual conversation (especially because you can refer to the excluded "::" portion as "the Big Gulp") but somehow I don't see it used in technical documentation. I like "morsel," personally. (Well, I also like "collop," because it's arcane and sounds vaguely dirty to me, but I don't think that would catch on.)