nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scam telemarketers spoofing our NOC phone number for callerid

From: Scott Howard <scott () doc net au>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:26:21 -0700

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:

Some do.  Anyone with control of a phone system with digital lines (i.e.
asterisk with PRI) can trivially set callerID to whatever they want. There
are perfectly legitimate, and not so legitimate uses for this.

You don't even need the PRI.  There's a number of SIP providers that will
allow you to set CallerID.  In some cases they do some level of verification
first, but in many cases it's just a free-for-all.

There were some laws passed recently which makes "faking" caller-id illegal,
although I'm not sure exactly what the details are (eg, I'm fairly sure
sending your cell phone number from a desk phone is fine as you own both of
them).

  Scott.