nanog mailing list archives

Re: Software-based Border Router

From: khatfield () socllc net
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:12:11 +0000

I do agree here. If you are not moving a lot of data then something like BSD or Vyatta may be a good alternative.  You
do still have possible reboots required and things you would not see as often with a hardware-appliance model. However,
for cheaper than the cost of 1 appliance you could build in redundancy. I guess the question is how many PPS you plan
to push, whether you have regularly scheduled maintenance windows that you could bring it down for a reboot, and
whether the additional maintenance involved still keeps you in the black?

I am a big proponent of open source every thing. Although, I am a bigger proponent of stability and less maintenance.
If you could prove out a software-based solution against the cost of a hardware solution then I don't see any reason
not to go that route.