nanog mailing list archives

Re: Software-based Border Router

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:53:25 -0400

I didn't say hardware forwarding. I said hardware. They have appliances that run up to 3Mpps and support 8000 tunnels. This is all information from their website. I've been running vyatta on a small dual core supermicro shallow box for 455 days without a reboot. Except for the occasional tunnel drop (which I've managed to automate restarting that service via a shell script) its been rock solid. Its been as rock solid as the OpenRoute router it replaced and that router ran for 10 years. There are lots of interfaces you can purchase for the thing including 10Gbps if you need them. Some of those might have hardware forwarding, they might not. Running server quality interfaces is always better than the cheap little Realtek. However, those cheap little Realteks get it done...reliably.