nanog mailing list archives

Re: dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Owen DeLong" <owen () delong com>

Did I mention I haven't implemented v6 yet? :-)

No, you didn't. Perhaps you should spend some time learning about
it before you opine on how it should or should not be implemented.

Perhaps.  But that's a SHOULD, not a MUST; it's possible to make useful
observations without having every single implementation detail, quite often.

FWIW, I have implemented IPv6 in multiple organizations, including
my home where I've been running with it for several years.

You continue to put your home network up as an examplar, Owen, for many
things.  I don't think it's an exemplar of most of the things you do --
it is *specifically* not a Home Network as that term of art is, I think,
currently understood by most people, even though it's a network, in
a home.

*Really*? It bakes the endpoint MAC into the IP? Well, that's
miserably poor architecture design.

It can and it is a common default. It is not required.

Good to know.

It's actually rather elegant architecture design for the goals it was
implemented to accomplish.

I will look up what those are.

I'm not wilfully blind, and I don't have opinions that are unchangeable.

I'll do that, thanks.  Has ORA done an IPv6 book?  My Borders seems to be
having a sale...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com