nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:26:42 -0500

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 07:30:16 +0900, Masataka Ohta said:
IGP is the way for routers advertise their existence,
though, in this simplest case, an incomplete proxy of
relying on a default router works correctly.

Which is sufficient for 99.8% of hosts out there.

Beyond that, if there are multiple routers, having a default
router and relying

Yes yes we know, and we've understood this for a quarter century or so.  My
disagreement is that even though 99.8% of machines *don't* have multiple
routers, you seem to be pedantically insisting that some sort of IGP is
mandatory for *all* end hosts, even though only 0.2% or so will actually see
any benefit at all..