nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:42:02 -0800

On 12/30/11 08:47 , Kevin Loch wrote:

It is very common to have different "routers" (routers, firewalls or
load balancers) on the same vlan with different functions in hosting
environments.  It is also sometimes necessary to have multiple default
gateways on the same vlan for load balancing or traffic engineering.
RA/auto configuration is incompatible with all but the most trivial
configurations.

As someone with rather abundant experience with both vrrp6 and multiple
RAs per subnet I'm going to have to disagree with your there. it's not
incompatible with the all but the most trivial configurations, you're
distinguishing between default and non-default behavior. much as in ipv4
I may have a distinction between statically configured hosts, hosts
which have a static configuration derived from dhcp and those with a
dynamically generated configuration derived from dhcp.

The static configured resources can happily coexist on a network where
dynamically configured devices have diffrent default behavior.

- Kevin