nanog mailing list archives

Re: SFP vs. SFP+

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:17:55 -0600

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 09:04:29PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:

Are there are any optics that plug into 10G ports but have a copper or
optical 1G interface?  There's some equipment that I'm specing where
it is $10K for a multi-port 1G card, even while I really may only
*occasionally* need a single 1G port and there's a free 10G port for
me to use.

It doesn't work that way. The closest you can get is that the device can
support either 1G or 10G in the same port (since SFP and SFP+ are
physically and electrically the same), but it requires support from the
device (since both PHYs have to be implemented).

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras