nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another v6 question

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:10:04 -0800

On 1/25/2011 10:19, Max Pierson wrote:

From the provider perspective, what is the prefix-length that most are
accepting to be injected into your tables??  2 or so years ago, I read where
someone stated that they were told by ATT that they weren't planning on
accepting anything smaller than a /32. So what if I get my shiny new /48
from ARIN and am already multi-homed??? Does ATT not want my business (which
they wouldn't get if the first place, but for argument sake, yes, I chose to
pick on ATT, sorry if I offended anyone :)  I already see /40's /48's ,etc
in the v6 table, so some folks are allowing /48 and smaller, so what is the
new /24 in v6?

I only ask due to the fact that ARIN's policy for end-users is /48 minimum
(which is what i've been telling folks to apply for or applying for it on
behalf of them).

Almost everyone of consequence accepts a /48. Verizon last year was very
firm at /32, but I've heard they recently changed their mind. Verizon
gave up on trying to get IPv6 to me before this and closed the account
after a calendar year's worth of attempts. I replaced them with Global
Crossing who got it right on the first try.

These days a provider that only accepts a /32 or shorter is the
exception, not the rule.

~Seth