nanog mailing list archives

Re: arin and ops fora (was: AltDB? RPKI, the universe, and ...)

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:13:34 -1000

Randy,

On Jan 7, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
one difference in north america from the other 'regions' is that there
is a strong and very separate operator community and forum.

Right.  However, it seems to me that this strong separation has led to exactly the problem you raised. The issue, as
far as I can tell, is that there are functions and services performed by ARIN that can impact the operational community
yet even within the existing ARIN structures, there is no obvious (to me at least) mechanism by which the operational
community can voice their concerns/provide input/etc. on these services and functions (excluding address
allocation/policy of course).

so i would be perfectly happy if arin discussed operational matters here
on nanog with the rest of us ops.

I suspect the ambiguity of "operational matters" (and who defines what that is) and "discussed" will inevitably
conspire to make you (and presumably other operators) less than "perfectly happy".

i would not be pleased to see ops start to be subsumed by the rir here.

That's a different topic. I'm talking about some mechanism by which ARIN and the operational community can communicate
more effectively about the services ARIN provides as a public service.

Regards,
-drc