nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why don't ISPs peer with everyone?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:49:42 +0000

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:52:31AM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:

What I've found interesting is the cost of circuits seem to not be distance-sensitive.  I think this will contribute
to mega-regional peering for the foreseeable future.

(ie: dc, sj, dfw, chi, nyc, etcb&)

Unless these costs come closer to reflecting a balance then I suspect we will continue to see this regional
networking.  I had a hard time getting people to interconnect even in the CLEC COLO spaces.  very few people had bgp
capable devices in those locations, while they were big and had traffic, the gear for running bgp just wasn't there.

- Jared

        well - no BGP, != an ISP :)
        this sounds very much like the folks who wanted to put up a south asian IX in guam.
        lots and lots of fiber pairs landed there, but it was just repeaterd and pushed back
        into the water.  No kit for peering there.

        (other problems w/ Guam left as an academic eercise)

/bill