nanog mailing list archives

Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Ingo Flaschberger <if () xip at>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:49:04 +0200 (CEST)

And networks without RAs are very common. We call those networks "IPv4-only networks".

No, we call those server networks.  I've seen lots of IPv6 networks with
RA's disabled and all static devices on them.  Sometimes having hosts
dynamically get addresses and default routes is a bad thing.

For my future ipv6 server network I tried to go without ra - but ran into troubles. I use ucarp from freebsd for the ipv4 servers to have a failover gateway - but this does not work because of dad. So I have now a ip for each gateway, still failover via ucarp to bring the interface up / down and advertise the active default gw via ra.

Kind regards,
        Ingo Flaschberger