nanog mailing list archives

RE: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

From: Kelly Setzer <Kelly.Setzer () wnco com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 19:33:14 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jimmy Hess [mailto:mysidia () gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:43 PM
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: The stupidity of trying to "fix" DHCPv6

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:
DHCP today uses an exponential backoff if there is no response, I don't
[snip]

This could have been (but was unfortunately not) mitigated in the v6 specs by
adding options to DHCPv4 to configure IPv6 address and gateway  at the same
time IPv4 configuration is received,  in lieu of using v6 based
protocols for config;
[snip]

I've observed that when the unwashed masses begin deploying new technologies, they have a terrible tendency to be
disobedient, to change the rules, to revise specs.  While the implementers implement and the operators operate, the
professors profess to a quickly emptying lecture hall.  I have great faith that the experienced and pragmatic people
who have to work with IPv6 on a daily basis will resolve things like the DHCP6/RA imbroglio.

IPv6 will be much different in a few years.  As a host guy in an enterprise-type organization, I'm looking forward to
what you and people like you will cook up.

</pep talk>

Kelly
  ******* CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE *******

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete this message from your system. Thank you.