nanog mailing list archives

Re: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possible with today's technology.

From: Landon Stewart <lstewart () superb net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:42:09 -0700

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Vitkovsky, Adam <avitkovsky () emea att com>wrote:

"inverse problem"
This is what I believe Landon meant in his original post

Everybody started talking about compression -but that is I believe sending
the result of the function -where both nodes know the function

But how hard if at all possible is to figure out a function(or set of
functions) and variables that describe the given data

And than just send those functions and variables to the other node
And let it to recompute the original file

Complex function can be represented by simple numbers to shrink down the
amount of data to be sent over the wire

If the file is: 1048576

-than that coule be represneted via:
1*1
X=2
Y=10
Where both nodes would know that 1 = x^y

Just wanted to say yes, this is entirely what I meant.  Of course the
smaller the file the more pointless it gets but still...  If the file was
1GB instead of just 7 bytes I'm wondering if a regular old workstation could
put it back together in any reasonable amount of time with the equation.

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart () SUPERB NET>
SuperbHosting.Net by Superb Internet Corp.