nanog mailing list archives

Re: Had an idea - looking for a math buff to tell me if it's possiblewith today's technology.

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 14:01:20 -0400

On May 19, 2011, at 9:48 35AM, Jamie Bowden wrote:

I know you're having fun with him, but I think what the original poster
had in mind was more like thinking of a file as just a string of
numbers.  Create an equation that generates that string of numbers, send
equation, regenerate string on other end.  Of course, if it was that
easy, someone would already have done it

Yes.  I guess I was too terse with my answer, but this is known as
Kolmogorv complexity.  It's a well-known concept, and in general
you can't construct such equations/programs/what-have-yous.  Wikipedia
even gives a proof of that...