nanog mailing list archives

Re: Query : seeking a (low cost & secure) turnkey plug-and-play

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 18:32:33 -0600 (CST)

On 11/19/2011 4:04 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 6:58 AM, A. Chase Turner<chase () stumpy com>  wrote:
I am seeking a $100 turnkey micro hardware appliance to plug into a LAN
hub...

Why micro?  Just get a pile of free for the carting-off old Pentium
machines and run them headless with a BSD.  Set them up to heartbeat to a
cacti box.  Why buy new when you have a good use for the old stuff that is
going to a dump anyway?
As long as you're not paying the electric bill.  But quite frankly, some
of the stuff that's been put out over the years is better off in a dump.

... JG

They also have moving parts like disk drives and fans that will wear out
and need replacement.

In all fairness, everything breaks.  But, yeah, it may also break quicker.

... JG