nanog mailing list archives

RE: Outgoing SMTP Servers

From: "McCall, Gabriel" <Gabriel.McCall () thyssenkrupp com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 08:54:37 -0400

The alternative to centralization is enclosure: segmentation and private ownership of portions of the formerly common
resource. Since the internet is already thus enclosed, with each portion completely owned by one autonomous agent or
another, the problem at hand is not a commons problem at all but merely one of negotiation and market force. Internet
Death Penalties, blacklists, and unilateral de-peering and blackholing are exactly the sorts of responses an economist
would expect to see to a rogue actor in the network community, precise analogs of various types of economic ostracism
going back to the merchant consortia of the middle ages.

-Gabriel