nanog mailing list archives

Re: Disappointing ARIN - A great advertisement for the USA ?

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:33:11 +0100

On 12/09/2011 17:17, Jeroen Massar wrote:
You are confusing RPSL (RFC2650) with WHOIS (RFC812,RFC954,RFC3912).

and you are confusing RPSL with RIPE-181 syntax.  RIPE-181 and its
grandchildren is a specification for whois information.  RPSL is a routing
policy language which uses ripe-181 format.  The two are not the same.

Now, I agree on the part that ARIN should be doing RPSL, or even more,
just start using the RIPE whois server for serving their data.

Now wait one moment until I bog you down with 20 years worth of legacy
paranoia, "Not Invented Here" and useless history about why this shouldn't
ever have happened...

Nick