nanog mailing list archives

Re: Common operational misconceptions

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 07:20:37 -0800 (PST)

From: Owen DeLong owen () delong com

Sigh... NAT is a horrible hack that served us all too well in address conservation. Beyond that, it is merely a source
of pain.

I understand why you say that - NAT did yeoman's work in address conservation.  However, it also enabled (yes, really)
lots of topologies and approaches which are *not* designed upon the end-to-end model.  Some of these approaches have
found their way into business proceses.

An argument you and others have made many times boils down to "but if we never had NAT, think how much better it would
be!"

To this, the response "so what?" is not unreasonable - organizations which have built up processes and products around
the non-end-to-end model may or may not see a benefit in changing their ways.  Asserting that there is something wrong
with existing, succesful business practices is not, by itself, compelling.

While you and I may find this type of packet header manipulation distasteful, there's lots of organizations for which
it's normal operations.  The more NAT for v6 gets fought, the more folks will fight to preserve it.  Time could be
better spent demonstrating why NAT isn't needed in X or Y use case, and providing configuration snippets / assistance
for non-NAT-based solutions to those various groups.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com