nanog mailing list archives

Re: Megaupload.com seized

From: Tei <oscar.vives () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 12:42:35 +0100

On 20 January 2012 12:14, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett () gmail com> wrote:

On 20 Jan 2012, at 11:00, Tei wrote:

Fileshares can organize thenselves in sites based on a forum software
that is private by default (open with registration), then share some
"information" file that include the url to the files hosted, and the
key to unencrypt these files, and some metadata. A special desktop
program* would load that information file, and start the http
download.

At the risk of kicking over old ground, there are a bunch of privacy solutions like this; possibly the most complete
attempt (in terms of attempted privacy and distribution) is Freenet:

       http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html

...but it's slow; then there's Tahoe-LAFS - a decentralised filesystem:

       https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs

...but it's slow; then there are connection anonymisation tools like I2P and Tor, but - wonderful as they are -
they're slow.

Can you see a pattern developing that would be relevant to the downloader of 700Mb+ AVIs? :-)

It would be great to speed them through wider adoption, but until then...

       -a

These services are not needed yet.  But is good that are under study,
in case changes in laws or balance of power make it needed.
For now, I think people will continue using HTTP download/stream
movies and tv series.

Perhaps countries where the 3 strikes legislation is aprobed will make
one of these systems necesary. But I think speed is a important
factor, and no slow system will suceed.

--
--
ℱin del ℳensaje.