nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: goemon () anime net
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 15:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, Nick Hilliard wrote:
On 06/07/2012 16:12, valdis.kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 17:42:42 +1000, Matthew Palmer said:
Ugh, I know someone (thankfully no longer a current colleague) who ardently
*defends* his use of questions like "what does the -M option to ps do?" on
Is that an African ps or a European ps? ;)
I'll admit that I once asked a question like in an interview, but it was
only because the candidate had said that he was an expert with the "tar"
command.  If you're going to be that full of poop on a CV, you should
expect to be called up on it.

This is what baffles me. People keep putting stuff on their resume that they simply don't know anything about. TCP/IP expert, yet they don't know SYN/SYNACK/ACK or subnetting. HTTP expert but they don't know what a 200 response is.

-Dan