nanog mailing list archives

RE: using "reserved" IPv6 space

From: Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:41:37 -0700

Hammer wrote:

In the past, with IPv4, we have used reserved or "non-routable" space
Internally in production for segments that won't be seen anywhere else.
Examples? A sync VLAN for some FWs to share state. An IBGP link between
routers that will never be seen or advertised. In those cases, we have
often used 192.0.2.0/24. It's reserved and never used and even if it did
get used one day we aren't "routing" it internally. It's just on
segments where we need some L3 that will never be seen.

On to IPv6

I was considering taking the same approach. Maybe using 0100::/8 or
1000::/4 or A000::/3 as a space for this.

Why can't you just generate a ULA and use that?

Regards,

Leo