nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Netowrk Device Numbering BP

From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <mikevs () xs4all net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 14:28:48 +0100

In article <xs4all.CALgc3C7ngGpkRNYaCgN_ACY28uPFbM=KRnACsW0Jg=YsLuQHhQ () mail gmail com> you write:
For simplicity and a wish to keep a mapping to our IPv4 addresses,
each device (router/server/firewall) has a static IPv6 address that
has the same last digits as the IPv4 address, only the subnet is
changed.
You can say it's a IPv4 thinking model, but it's easier to remember
that if the fileserver it's at 192.168.10.10 then it's IPv6
counterpart address would be 2001:abcd::192:168:10:10 (each subnet
being a /64)

We use a /120 subnet for servers to prevent the NDP cache exhaustion
attack. We do maintain a mapping between IPv4 and IPv6 addresses;
it's simply 2001:db8:vv:ww::xx, where xx is the hex value of the
last octet of the IPv4 address.

Mike.