nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Ignorance

From: Steve Meuse <smeuse () mara org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:58:40 -0400

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Robert E. Seastrom <rs () seastrom com> wrote:

   What do I mean when I say "it must support IPv6"?  I mean two things.
   First, full feature parity with IPv4.  Everything that works under
   IPv4 must work under IPv6.  If you have exceptions, you'd better
   document them and have a remediation plan (or work-around if it is a
   deficiency baked into the standard; there are a few of which I'm
   aware).  Second, the device must function perfectly in an IPv6-only
   environment, with not a hint of IPv4 addressing around.  Dual-stack
   capability is nice, but should be an easy thing to provide if you can
   handle the first two requirements.

Well spoken RS, I'm cutting and pasting this one to my account team(s). Far
too many discussions about this with them recently.  (really, you're just
*now* getting v6 to work on bundled interfaces?)

-Steve