nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Jo Rhett <jrhett () netconsonance com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:11:40 -0700

On Sep 14, 2012, at 8:53 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Tech had a person managing the feed to DragonCon from the dedicated
room w/ the polycomm video conference system, for panels, in addition
to the actual union operator of the camera & such.

The camera ops had to be union?  Hmmm.  Ah, Chicago.  Yes.

That has been true everywhere that Worldcon has been for a number of years, excluding Japan.  Hotel union contracts
generally forbid activity being done by any non-union people, even if they are the guests.

Yes, and I'm told by my best friend who did attend (I didn't make it
this year) that the hotel wired/wifi was essentially unusable, every
time he tried.  Hence my interest in the issue.

Always is. Those networks are not built for that many devices attaching. They never are. But they don't want the
competition either. If you NEED connectivity at the convention, you must bring your own LTE MIFI and take care of
yourself. This is simply not solvable in the convention hotel contracts level. I've got many SMOF friends and I've been
trying for years, and it only worked for a small gap of years before hotels starting seeing Internet as a profit
vector. Unfortunately, the size requirements of things the size of Worldcon limit the choices enough that this simply
can't be a bargaining point.

--
Jo Rhett