nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Making of a Router

From: Alessandro Ratti <lord2y () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 18:05:10 +0100

if you want build by yourself I will suggest gentoo and/or freebsd with
bird (http://bird.network.cz/) for routing stuff (maybe with 10G nics).

Don't put all this in one box.

+1

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Nick Cameo <symack () gmail com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to put together a 2u server with a few PCIe 3 x8
(recommendations appreciated). The router will take a voip transcoding
line card, and will act as an edge router for a telecom company.

For things like BGP (Quagga, Zebra, all that lovely stuff!!!), static
routes, and firewall capabilities we are thinking gentoo linux
stripped for sure however, what about the BSDs? FreeBSD or OpenBSD.
Any comments, feedback, does, and don'ts are much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nick.

--
Ciao,