nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni network ownership and the Fourth

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:02:58 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog () vaxination ca>

On 13-01-29 22:03, Leo Bicknell wrote:

The _muni_ should not run any equipment colo of any kind. The muni
MMR should be fiber only, and not even require so much as a generator
to work. It should not need to be staffed 24x7, have anything that
requires PM, etc.

This is not possible in a GPON system. The OLT has to be carrier neutral
so that different carriers can connect to it. It is the last point of
aggregation before reaching homes.

Just another reason I wouldn't touch GPON with a 10 meter pole.

Otherwise, you would need to run multiple strands to each splitter box
and inside run as many splitters as there are ISPs so that one home an
be connect to the splitter used by ISP-1 while the next home's strand
is connected to another splitter associated with ISP-2. This gets
complicated.

Yeah, no, 3-pair home-run from each prem to the frame.

Just because it is a municipal system does not mean that it has to be
municipal employees who run the OLT and do the maintenance of the fibre
plant. It can very well be a private company comtracted by the city to
provide carrier neutral services to any ISP who wants to connect.

Correct, and it likely would.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com