nanog mailing list archives

Re: Office 365..? how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:10:14 -0700

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Aaron Wendel
<aaron () wholesaleinternet net>wrote:

On 7/14/2013 3:37 PM, Richard Golodner wrote:

On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 09:36 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:

in
fact, they were all likely in the same rotten boat.

        Why I love open source. Look at my mail, track my web site
visits. None
of this should come as any surprise, especially to the members of this
list. Now for the guy down the street that is working on his 69 Camaro
at two in the morning it may have come as a shock.
        Richard

We (ISPs) are all compelled to provide information from time to time under
a court order. The PRISM program is voluntary.  These companies gave the
NSA access to their systems voluntarily.  To me there is a big difference.
 I would be interested to know what they got out of it.

It was far from voluntary, and it apparently didn't happen
without a lot of resistance.  At least some details of the
long, hard fight that started five years ago are finally being
allowed to be declassified now:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/16/technology/security/yahoo-fisa-court/index.html
http://mashable.com/2013/07/16/yahoo-fisa-court-2008-prism/

It will be interesting to see how much of the court
documents will be visible and unredacted when
they are released on Monday.

Matt