nanog mailing list archives

Re: Time Warner Cable YouTube throttling

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:30:45 -0500

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net> wrote:

We have recently been having some serious speed issues with YouTube on our home connections, which are all Time
Warner Cable.
Some searching on forums and such revealed a work around:

Block 206.111.0.0/16 at the router.

this was reported elsewhere... it seems odd, since that's XO space,
not Google and not TWC space. Would you care to engage in some
troubleshooting to help everyone out? :)

This makes speeds go from ~1 Mb/s to the full connection speed (30 Mb/s in my case). It appears that TWC is forcing
traffic to this netblock over a congested link, or otherwise throttling it.

Trying to communicate this to tech support results in the typical "Derrr, what?"

Does anyone at Time Warner care to comment on WTF?

thanks,
-Randy