nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cloudflare, and the 120Gbps DDOS "that almost broke the Internet"

From: Joshua Goldbard <j () 2600hz com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:18:29 +0000

That was a really big attack.

The scary part is that it's all DNS reflection, meaning the attackers only need 3Gbps of bandwidth to generate 300Gbps
of DDoS.

Imagine if they compromised some of the medium sized corporate networks along with these Botnets. I don't know if the
exchanges could hold up against 1Tbps of DDoS, and the difference between 300 and 1000Gbps is not a lot.

While I'm excited that CloudFlare is doing such a good job bringing this to the attention of the masses I can't help
but feel that this is essentially a time bomb. If this attack was an order of magnitude larger, things might be very
different.

Cheers,
Joshua

Sent from my iPhone