nanog mailing list archives

Re: common method to count traffic volume on IX

From: "Neil J. McRae" <neil () domino org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:09:51 +0000

Randy,

On 18/09/2013 03:39, "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com> wrote:

somehow, a serious case of testosterone poisoning combined with insane
goal drift has hit a number of the large european exchanges.  instead of
the goal being how well they serve their local communities, they have
gone wild with sleazy means of having traffic contests, doing really
sick attempts at techno-colonial expansion into foreign countries and
continents, ...  instead of running a public service, they think they
are running competitive commercial enterprises.  imiho, the members
should be up in arms.

I find this rant hilarious given your position during the attempted
commercial buy out of the London Internet Exchange! Others might class it
as rubbish!

The European exchanges are responding to a demand that is being created by
US operators (many of which are members), there is a gap that is perceived
that the model used in Europe (quite successfully I would add) may fill.
By all means, if there are other companies that can fill this demand they
should get their plans rolling.

As for local communities - the Internet itself is a local community which
we all do our best to serve.

if you are jealous of commercial expansion, then send your resume to
equinix.  Sheesh!

I've sent them mine but they said my approach to commercial expansion was
too aggressive! Oh dear! ;)

Regaards,
Neil.
(oh and yes I am a non-exec of the LINX but I'm speaking personally (but
you knew that already right?))