nanog mailing list archives

Re: The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:23:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2014, Rick Astley wrote:

That amount of data is massive scale. I don't see it as double dipping
because each party is buying the pipe they are using. I am buying a 15Mbps
pipe to my home but just because we are communicating over the Internet
doesn't mean the money I am paying covers the cost of your connection too.
You must still buy your own pipe in the same way Netflix would. I covered
this scenario in more detail in my post "What Net Neutrality should and
should not cover" but if you expand on the assumption that paying for an
internet connection also pays for the direct connection of every party who
you exchange traffic with then you have a scenario where only half the
people connected to the Internet should have to pay at all for their
connection because any scenario where people simply buy their own pipe
would be considered "double billing".

The size of the pipes involved doesn't change the fundamental premise that double-dipping is involved. Comcast, et al want to be paid twice for the same traffic. The money I pay Verizon every month for my Fios connection, by itself, doesn't pay for the rest of their network, but take the millions of Fios customers as a whole, and the revenue stream is significant. We'll leave the government-mandated revenue stream out of the equation for now. Just about every ISP, and certainly all of the big ones, practice statistical multiplexing - there is always some amount of oversubscription at play. Add up the subscription speeds of every Fios customer, and the total ingress/egress capacity of Verizon's network, and the two numbers will not be equal - not by a long shot.

While 100G linecards and optics are still very expensive, those costs will come down over time. Even at that, the cost of adding a 100G link between Big Network A and Big Network B is at most pennies per customer.

jms