nanog mailing list archives

Re: The FCC is planning new net neutrality rules. And they could enshrine pay-for-play. - The Washington Post

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 13:21:55 -0700

On Apr 26, 2014, at 4:08 PM, Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net> wrote:

On 4/26/2014 3:01 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Apr 24, 2014, at 8:38 PM, Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
wrote:

Monopolies can not persist without regulation.

This is absolutely false. Regulating monopolies CAN protect
monopolies, but that’s not always the outcome.

Monopolies absolutely can persist without regulation. Except in the
most highly dense population areas, there is not a sufficient market
to support the deployment of more than one copy of a given media type
to that population. As a result, there is, in most places, a natural
monopoly in each media type, whether that’s electrical, water, cable,
twisted pair, fiber, etc.

Sounds like the market at work, not monopoly power......I've never heard the term "monopoly" used where the market
contains all the players that want to play.

It doesn’t. What it contains is all the players that can afford to play.

When the number of players that can afford to play==1 that’s pretty much the definition of monopoly.

If you want to try and pervert the term to meet your previous (bizarre) claims, then I’m sure you can do enough dancing
around the dictionary to eventually arrive at your chosen destination.

However, Patrick and I are more concerned with the actual outcome for consumers (including ourselves) than with the
sophistry required to engage in the discussion you appear to want to have.

Owen