nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 18:29:08 -0700

On Aug 4, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net> wrote:

Owen DeLong wrote:
Single mode fiber's usefulness doesn't expire within any funding
horizon applicable to a municipality. Gige service and any other lit
service you can come up with today does.
Well, not in the foreseeable future, anyway. I'm sure there was a time when that claim could have been made about
copper. I would not make that claim about copper today (or even 10 years ago).

Assuming the rodents don't eat your fiber.

Miles Fidelman

Most burried fiber is pretty rodent resistant these days.

Owen