nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation for Loopback Address

From: Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 15:09:08 +0800

From my research, various authorities have recommended that a single /64 be allocated to router loopbacks with /128s
assigned on interfaces. This makes a lot of sense to me as (which has been said) there is no other *need* in the
foreseeable future to have more than one IP on the loopback - this is the purpose of it. Any technology or design that
requires this has got scaling issues and should not be used anyway.

Regards,

Tim Raphael